Thursday, April 7, 2011

La Querencia.

After exploring the Culinary Art School, we were ready for lunch, not to mention that it was a few days before Lourdes' birthday, so we thought that we would celebrate by going to her good friend's restaurant:

La Querencia
(click here for the full website)


I can usually tell if I am going to like a place by the outside, and I was pretty sure I was going to love it.


We were seated right away, and it was really visual stimulating. The colors, the music, the vibe...really cool. The decor was modern with a interesting twist.... hunting! I guess the Chef loves to hunt, so he has stuffed animal heads and bodies on the walls. I could have done without, but it was still interesting.


LOVED these little centerpieces. I am pretty sure the flower had been dried out and added to the live greens, even if Lourdes disagreed with me ;)


They had a kitchen area as well as a bar/fish area. It looked kind of like a sushi bar, but not.


Everyone received this tray of different sauces that the Chef created. He learned how to make a lot of his recipes from his mom but of course attended Le Cordon Bleu. The sauce varied from mild to incredibly hot... it literally burned my entire mouth. The bread was terrible.... for as amazing his food is, he needs to contact Bread & Cie (San Diego) or La Mie (Des Moines).


Lourdes pretty much took the initiative and ordered everything for us. She told me that I HAD to try this martini. It was a Tamarindo martini...so good!


You order your meal(s) from this chalkboard. I had no idea where to even start, so I let Lourdes take over. We decided on doing "La Gustaccion", which pretty much translates into the "Chef's Tasting". We eat whatever he sends over, and he continues to cook until we tell him that we are done.


First thing's first... an appetizer shot. It was filled with all kinds of fresh fish, tequila, chile, and lime. It was totally different from anything I have ever had.


Next, we have beets that had been reduced in some kind of alcohol and then topped with the most mild blue cheese that I have ever had. Yum!


I'm starting to get full... but I couldn't resist trying more and the next thing was a Lamb-burger. Ugh, my mouth is literally watering right now.

This was the last entree that we had before dessert (which I forgot to take a picture of.... it was a crepe cake) This was a chorizo stuffed prawn with a little lamb leg. It was a little much for me with all the different meats, but still tasty.

After our martini, we enjoyed a nice red wine from a local and prestigious winery in Valle de Guadalupe called Vina de Liceaga (click here for their website)

Thank you Chef! It was delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment