Thursday, May 10, 2012

This past weekend I went home for several reasons, one of the main ones being that my mom's husband was in the hospital and I thought that he was having surgery so I wanted to be there for my mom. However, they let him out of the hospital before I got home and they were post-poning the surgery until after May 19th (their reception date, since they just got married through court).

I left work early on Saturday and got in late. I was super stressed when I got in with everything going on my life but once I got home, talked to my mom, and had a glass of wine (okay..two, but who's counting!) I felt a lot better. We started watching Sweet Home Alabama... "it was just the ticket"!


Mexican Benedict at NOSH

The next morning, I had brunch with my big sister, Grace, and my dad. It was really, really nice. We went to this cute place called Nosh in downtown Geneva. If you've never been to Geneva, you must. The town is super cute with great restaurants, shops, and beautiful scenery. The dish above was the Mexican Benedict with chorizo, avocado, poached eggs, and a jalapeno topping with potatoes on the side. I love Eggs Benedict and this was even better :)


Savory French Toast at NOSH

My sister and dad split the Savory French Toast and some omelet. I don't enjoy omelets so I didn't bother taking a picture of it. The french toast though....yummm! It was topped with bacon, caramelized onions and drizzled with some type of cream sauce. The toast was actually slices of a french baguette. We topped it with maple syrup, ugh, heaven!

My sister and I ordered mimosas and my dad looked at his watch and asked, "Don't you think it's a little early to be drinking?" We were sitting by the bar and the bartender smiled and my sister and I giggled and said "Our dad doesn't understand brunch, so please make him a bloody mary." He didn't drink much of the bloody mary so Grace and I finished it for him.


Gelato at All Chocolate Kitchen

After brunch, Grace was telling me about this fabulous chocolate store called the All Chocolate Kitchen. Chocolate? I'm there! The shop was really cute, with gelato, chocolate truffles, cakes, and pastries. It reminded me of Extraordinary Desserts in San Diego, but obviously different. 


Truffle Selection at All Chocolate Kitchen

They had a huge selection of chocolate truffles. I wanted to take one of each but only picked three. They had fruit inspired ones, liquor inspired ones, and savory flavored ones as well. The only bad thing about the morning and afternoon was all of the rain! Other than that, it was nice to have time to spend time with family :)

From the entire weekend, the pictures above are the only ones that I took! I had dinner with my mom and best friend Becky and her husband Dan that night. I always love seeing them, we talk about everything and give each other advice. The next day I got to my my cousin and her baby and then had a great lunch with an old high school friend, Eric. We hadn't seen each other since high school but recently reconnected. He'll be visiting Des Moines soon, and who doesn't fall in love with Des Moines, right? I know I did!

No comments:

Post a Comment