Friday, August 14, 2009

Work In Progress.

So, in my effort to make my apartment feel more at home, a month or so ago, I decided that I should decorate the kitchen. I got it in my head and just went kind of crazy for about a week. After that week, I think I may have gotten a little burnt out, so I need some help, I think because I can't decide if I am completely happy with it yet. Take a look!
I think the inspiration for my kitchen decor came from that little cow. I was in Williams-Sonoma, shopping of course, and I came across a similiar cow used for creamer from Apilco (By the way, the website is in French but they have an icon with an American flag too!) I thought, why not do French Country-ish decor, especially since I had recently stumbled upon a cute little french store in Mission Hills called, Mesón en Provence. With that in mind, I drove over to Mission Hills to get shoppin' & workin'.

I guess I was feeling a little (or a lot) amibitous because I bought a couple yards of this authentic Provençal fabric and thought that I could hand sew curtains! Mind you, I haven't really sewn something major since middle school when they make you take Home Ed class. But, I had it in my head that I could do it and I did! It took me about a week to finish both curtains. I felt so incredibly proud of myself :)

Next, I went to World Market and picked out this cute little stone hen, which is a French Country essential, of course. I also bought a few bottle of wine too, but that wasn't really for the kitchen, I guess. Still feeling like I needed more, I drove over to Lowe's and picked out a green hanging plant, but re-potted it into something else.


One of the final touches that I knew it needed was this "Bon Appétit" script. I looked up many fonts, but this was my favorite so I cleared my mind, got out my small paint brush and gold paint and gave it a shot. I think it turned out pretty good, but it may need a touch-up in a few places.


All in all, I am pretty satisfied with the resutls. I forgot to mention, the dishes on the wall! I looked everywhere, literally, from Bloomingdales to Pottery Parn to World Market to finally Target. I love them and think they are a perfect fit. I already had the spice jars from Crate & Barrel, and bought that small painting of French Lavender from Mesón en Provence.


Joseph even bought this hanging pots/pans structure from IKEA and tried to surprise me by hanging it on the wall that I decorated, before I had decorated it. Knowing that I wouldn't like where he put it, he was prepared and had purchased puddy to cover the holes. So, I had his put it over the stove, along with magnet that holds all of our knives.

So, what do you think?!

3 comments:

  1. oh my gosh! i love it! everything fits together perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. JOEY! it looks awesome! sooo cute. you did a great job, and the french country theme is perfect with that yellow tile. and i bet it reminds you of home. well, of carolyn's home. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! I love it too, but with my crazy schedule, I don't get to enjoy it much.

    ReplyDelete