Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Knife Skills.

Most people aren't aware of my weird schedule. My part time job consists of doing Visual Merchandising for a well-known retail store (which can not be blogged about because of their "policies") & my full-time job is at Extraordinary Desserts. I work early mornings at my part-time and evenings at my full-time. So as you can guess, I have most of the days open!

Most of the time when I leave my part-time job I come home, do some cleaning, working on personal projects, or nothing at all (aka nap) since Joseph is at work. Well, I have found the perfect "project" to work on or pass my time effectively (not that I need any more on my plate!) I was on my way to Neiman-Marcus, only to browse of course, and I saw that Williams-Sonoma was starting their Fall Technique classes, and next week would be Fall Baking! "How fun" I thought. So I went in to sign up. I then realized they were having one today and they asked if I would like to attend. I had nothing else planned so I thought "Why not?!"

This was my teacher:

Today's lesson was on Knife Skills. My class consisted of mostly housewives and some old people. I was the youngest person there but probably the most skilled. It seemed like a lot of these people probably have never really had to "cook". They own a lot of the best knives but didn't know how to use them or what each one was for.


For the class we got this little booklet to take home and follow along. Our teacher showed us how we should pick a knife that suits us, how to hold it properly, and even various types of cutting techniques. I knew most of everything she was teaching but she did demonstrate some new things I didn't know how to do. It was a great refresher course and FREE!

After about 90 minutes of talking and demonstrating how to slice, dice, & chop a bunch of different things, our teacher threw them in a bowl, made a simple dressing, and we enjoyed the fruits of her labor, a fresh salad. Yummy. Can't wait for my next class :)

No comments:

Post a Comment