Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Dam to Dam: Done.

Yes, you better believe it... I trained my body to run 12.4 miles. Did I think I could achieve it? Maybe not at first, but once I had run 11 miles, I thought to myself, "What's another 1.4 miles, right?"



The most important part of running Dam to Dam? For me it was all about the outfit. The close the race got, the more and more I was worried about what I was going to wear. I kept thinking to myself, "How many people are going to see me?!" I knew I had to run out and get something quick and I did! What do you think?!


Race Day. We had to stick these little "GPS" trackers on our shoes. Apparently they don't have GPS but I was convinced they did. They track your time... also known as GPS to me ;) All the same thing right? Oh technology


I thought the buses were picking us up at 7:00 a.m. I was obviously very confused because the race started at 7:00 and the buses were picking us up downtown at 5:00 a.m. Ugh. How do we look for being on a school bus at 5:00 a.m.? We were actually kind of delirious. Haha.


We had been planning on meeting up with our friend Mike and his friend but didn't think we would actually find each other since there were thousands of people around but Mike found me. He was looking for the "red, mock turtle neck shirt". 


Jenn and John Hansen managed to capture the "joy" I was feeling at 12ish miles. To be completely honest, I was checked out at 11 miles. My body started cramping and I was fighting to keep running, there was no way I was going to give up!



The only way I could reward myself? Americana brunch, of course! Crossing the finish line was such an accomplishment and I was SO proud of myself. I run with music and it motivates me to keep running. As I was struggling to finish, the last song that came on and I stared at the finish line was "The Only Exception" by Paramore. I don't know why but as I ran, holding one of my best friends hands, and listened to it, I became super emotional and teared up and I crossed the finish line. If you have ever run and trained maybe you would understand but I was a little overwhelmed but SO happy.  


No comments:

Post a Comment