Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Mobile Printing Press Party.

Have you ever heard of a Printing Press on Wheels? Had you said that such a thing existed more than a few weeks ago, I don't think that I would have believed you. After attending Domestica's AIGA Iowa + Type Truck + Poster Party, I fell in love all over again with letter pressed everything!


A group of us got together and drove down to the East Village to attend the event. The weather was typical that of a hot Midwest afternoon. We tried to stand in the shade of the truck to stay cool... and drank a couple of beers too, of course. There was a long line to get into the very small but very cute truck!

Kyle Durrie, the letter press printer from Portland, is making a cross country road-trip to teach workshops, doing demos, and inspiring people with her letter-pressing skills. She began her trip in June and it will last about (9) months. Interested in having her stop in your town, click here.

I had to make sure she had been through San Diego, and of course it was one of the first places she had already stopped :)


She had traveled through most of the Southwestern States and made her way to Iowa.


Kyle was really sweet, patient, and a great print pressing teacher!

I'm not sure how many people had already crammed themselves into her little truck but she made it seem as though we were her first group. I think I would have been a little grouchy, especially because it was so hot and humid!


The two colors she had out were Red & Blue.


We all decided to make a joint one, and wanted to make one half blue and the other half red.


It's all ready!


Next step? Picking out the paper's color and thickness.


Ready to lay it down... very carefully... making sure it's centered is hard!


One, two, three.... roll! And out it comes. Do you love it, or do you love it?! So much fun. Thank you Type Truck & Domestica for hosting the event, truly unique!

1 comment:

  1. I love that print - am so sad I didn't ask her to print some up for sale - every day I get asked about it. HOpefully, Kyle comes through again - me? I'm lucky enough to be headed to Renegade Chi this weekend where Kyle + her Type Truck will be making more prints. It's free, it's awesome + if you're in Chi this weekend, it's a don't miss out event.

    ReplyDelete