Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Very. Berry. Cherry.

Have you been berry picking? When did it become so cool? I'm not entirely sure but who made it cool, or cool again (it quite possibly could have been Jennifer from eden) but it has me totally inspired to bake! And not only am I baking, but I am cooking like crazy again... and that makes me very happy. 


Jennifer got a hold of these AMAZING cherries from a berry patch near Ames. She told me they were sour and meant for cherry pie making, so together we searched for the perfect recipe and modified to our liking. 




First step? (aside from pitting those little suckers, which takes forever) Home-made pie crust, of course!


It really is a lot easier than most people think. All you really need is:

Flour
Sugar
Salt
Cold Butter
Really Cold Water


While the crust dough was chilling, I mixed together the pitted cherries, sugar, cornstarch, and a few "secret" ingredients!


Once the cherries had soaked up all the flavors, I threw them into the pie crust and started my first lattice-making adventure


Not too bad for my first time, eh?? I was pretty impressed too.


No lattice is complete without a little egg wash. 


The freshly baked and slightly cooled pie! I added a little bit of a glaze on top and since I don't have a pastry brush (oooops, how silly right?) I used this handy-dandy honey wand thing :) What's it really called anyway? I don't know, do you?


Of the four or five pies that I have made within the last couple of months, the cherry pie is still by far "the favorite". I almost wish I hadn't made it first! 


The only way to celebrate a fabulously made pie? Sparklers of course!

No comments:

Post a Comment