Monday, August 6, 2012

Peaches & Cream.



Once a week, a few friends and myself get together to cook or bake whatever is farm fresh for the week. We've made an apple pie, blueberry and vanilla tart, whiskey soaked cherry pie... and the list goes on and on. I have pictures of several of these concoctions but I haven't the time to blog! Ay!

A couple of weeks ago, Meredith, one of my good friends traveled to Georgia to visit her best friend and brought back Georgia Peaches, which she handpicked! She threw them in her luggage, with a hope and prayer that they would make it back safely. Here is what we did them those beauties:


Derek's Famous Guacamole. 
Our new friend and neighbor in e300 made this famous guacamole. It was pretty delicious. I MIGHT even say it is a close second to mine ;)


Hand Picked Georgia Peaches.
Here are the little beauties! What to do, what to do? I pulled out ALL of my cooking and baking cookbooks and we sat down and narrowed it down. 

Georgia Mint Lemonade.

In the midst of deciding, I threw together some cocktails. Random parts of Jeremiah Weed, Vodka, fresh squeezed lemonade, and a Peach Simple syrup, garnished with a sprig of fresh mint. Yum!




We always have the need to snack and drink while baking/cooking. Something salty and sweet? The perfect combination, if you ask me! 






Within the last couple of months, I think that I have mastered the art of pie crust making. I am pretty sure that I can do it in my sleep now.




 After "blanching" the peaches and pulling back the skins, I cut them up, them in a big bowl and got the filling mixture ready. 



After tossing the peaches in the random mixture of dry ingredients, I threw in a few splashes of whiskey. Why not, right? It's kind of secret ingredient, so don't tell anyone ;) 






After letting the mixture sit for a minute, I threw everything into the pie baking dish, and topped the pie with some of the extra dough. Into the oven it goes!



After about an hour of baking, viola! Perfect Georgia Peach Pie. 











I topped the peach creation with a sweet glaze and fresh peaches



We didn't have any ice cream but I had some heavy whipping cream and quickly made some vanilla bean whipped cream. The best part? It tasted and good as it looks. Several more food posts to come :) 










3 comments: