Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Savasana.

Savasana.
You might be asking yourself... "Is that some one's name? Maybe Joey's new dog? Or maybe it's a type of food?"
Well, all of those questions are wrong. Last week, I was introduced to the idea of taking a yoga class twice a week in Balboa Park by someone who works at the same company but different location. I thought, "How fun!" I wasn't sure that I was really going to be up to it when the day came but I put into my mind and took the leap this morning.
I am so happy I did it. It started at 9:30 a.m. and lasted an hour. I even walked to and from my apartment to the class which is two miles round-trip! I learned a few new poses as I had attended a couple of classes in Des Moines with my friend Katie.
The instructor was awesome. She's young, cute, and well versed in the yoga lingo. At the end, as I was in the final pose known commonly as "corpse pose" or Savasana, she talked about letting your mind and body be at peace, not thinking about a thing, while keeping your eyes closed. I literally could have fallen asleep in the sun (while someone else farted, which may actually be a compliment for the instructor!)
It was kind of enlightening. After laying there for several minutes, you are to slowly get back into "reality" by wiggling your toes, opening your eyes, and "reawakening" yourself. I felt fresh, awake, and ready to start my day.
A truly great start to the morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment