Friday, July 24, 2009

Flower of Sunshine.

Many people don't know that my all time favorite flower is a Gardenia. I have a weakness for parrot tulips, stargazer lilies, and peonies, but nothing compares to my obsession with Gardenias. The first time I came to San Diego, I found this amazing lotion by *kai, that is Gardenia scented. It was kind of expensive, but I had to have it. The silly thing is that I only put it on for special occasions, when I've had a bad day, or when it just feels right, because I secretly try to conserve it.

As we were doing some home improvement projects around the apartment, I drove over to Lowe's and perused their Garden section. To my surprise, I found a Gardenia bush/tree (I can't tell which it is) I was so excited. I initially thought, "I don't care what it costs, I want it" and saw it was $25. Cheap, right? But then I thought, "that is kind of pricey", so I walked away. I kept on shopping and then I thought, "Did I seriously just think $25 was expensive? I've spent more money on sillier things, plus it makes me smile. " (Not to mention that they cost $20 a bloom at your local florist). So, I went back and bought it. I couldn't wait to get it home.

but...

I tried everything to get it to bloom. I re-planted it in a new pot, with new soil, bought it some fertilizer, watered it everyday, and put it in the perfect location. I'd had it for over 5 months, and nothing. I was so upset. I would check it literally, everyday. I kept telling Joseph, "I bet it will have a bloom tomorrow..." almost everyday. Haha. It would have a bud but then it would suddenly fall off. I was so upset that I even considered taking it back.

After feeling down about the Jeep all of Tuesday night, I had to get up the next morning and go to work. I was not in the mood to work at all. But, what can you do right? So I got ready, opened the door, proceeded to lock the front door, and smelled the sweet scent of Gardenia. I looked over, and my bush-tree had one bloom. It was precious. I thought "Everything is going to be okay."

1 comment: