Wednesday, May 20, 2009

A Night in Balboa.

Monday night, Joseph and I went on a walk through Balboa Park. Since it's only a block away from us, it only made sense (even though I initially wanted to drive back to Coronado and walk on the beach). The walk through the park is kind of scary but once you get to El Prado Street, everything is all lit up and beautiful.

While walking on El Prado, we stumbled upon a beautiful willow tree. I love willow trees. They are so serene and peaceful, they just inspire me. I just stared at it, and tried to get pictures of its intricate trunk, but since all I had was my iPhone, this is what it looked like.


I could almost tell how old it was and how "wise" it was. If I had to come back as something, I think it would be a willow tree. I may have been influenced by Grandmother Willow in Disney's Pocahontas :) I love how they are so rooted to the Earth. When I have some free time, I want to sit under it and draw/paint its beauty.

We crossed the bridge that overlooks Highway 163 and leads you further into Balboa Park. As we came up on the Old Globe Theater, we walked into the courtyard and found this rock sculpture. I thought it was very symbolic of "man" building the Old Globe, but also God or a "higher being" building Earth. Maybe a bit controversial, but it's just what I saw and caught my attention.

Still walking around the Old Globe, we stumbled upon this semi-eerie patio which as you can see was lit up blue. Everything being so still and quiet, is what made it eerie but calm, and inspired Joseph to have me take this picture. I think it really captured the essence of the moment.

After walking out of the Old Globe's courtyard, we kept walking and stopped at this Koi pond. The buildings in front of it are various museums, and behind it is the Botanical Garden, which houses hundreds of Orchids. I kind of felt like I was in another world.

The last stop within Balboa Park was this little Spanish Artist Village. Joseph had walked through it one late afternoon while everything was shutting down, so we knew where we were. We looked in some of the ateliers, and saw you could take pottery classes, painting classes, or just peruse their spaces and shop.

Of course, a small adventure wouldn't be complete without a reminder of our beloved friends back home. Joseph noticed that Katie may have a relative in San Diego! I guess she might have to just get her butt out here and find out :)

As we started heading back, I noticed it was getting quite late. We had been so enthralled in everything that we had been out for almost two hours! It was a wonderful night. We even saw the oldest ficus tree in San Diego, which is enormous. I couldn't get a decent picture of it, so you'll just have to come out and see it yourself. The last picture I captured of the night was this one of the Museum of Man's side. The architecture of all of the museums is so intricate but this one is probably the most famous. It was simply an inspiring night. I have a sudden urge to paint, draw, or just design anything and everything!

2 comments:

  1. LOL! oh my goodness! i wonder if artist dottie knows how to "renshaw". :) haha! this sounds like such a lovely outing, i especially liked the part about the willow tree. i love them too! i'm excited for you to break out your creativity!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I doubt Dottie knows how to do the Renshaw :) So yes, we'll see if I can actually follow through with my creative burst.

    ReplyDelete