Friday, May 22, 2009

Strawberry-Lavender Sorbet.

I'm not sure if any of you have been as lucky to try any of Joseph's sorbets from his Cooking With Just Four Ingredients book, but they are pretty yummy. A couple of nights ago, we wanted a little something sweet after our dinner, and thought, why not make a sorbet!


Joseph made this simple syrup over the stove, with fresh lavender. He heated it just enough to warm the water and sugar, and then threw in the lavender. He let it soak for about 45 minutes and then threw it in the refrigerator to cool down.

Meanwhile, I made the strawberry purée. I hulled a big case of fresh strawberries, and then in small batches puréed them in our food processor (which is very small, hence the small batches). Once the simple syrup was cooled and the strawberry purée was ready, I mixed them together and froze the mixture overnight.
In the morning, I scooped the frozen mixture back into the food processor and smoothed it out. In small batches once again, I added just a small amount of egg yolk into the processor with the mixture. It made it very fluffy! I was so excited because Joseph said he had never followed that part of the recipe, but it looked more like a sorbet with it. Once I had used the entire egg yolk and mixture, I placed the whole thing back into the bowl and put it back in the freezer for a few more hours.

Once it was frozen all the way through, wah-lah! I scooped it into a small white bowl and garnished it with a flower from our small front porch garden. It was smooth, slightly creamy, and tasted oh so fresh :)
As you may have noticed, I took over the project but Joseph got to enjoy the fruits of our labor. Unfortunately, we had to wait until the next day from our original craving from the night before.

No comments:

Post a Comment