Tuesday, June 30, 2009

The Girls from Ames.

While living in Des Moines, Iowa I became extremely attached to it, as most of you might already know. I often call it "home" even though most of my family is in the Chicago-area where I grew up. But there was just something different & special about Des Moines. I loved it there, and still do. So it was no surprise that Jeffrey Zaslow, a Wall Street Journal columnist, was intrigued enough by Iowa friendships to write a book about it titled, The Girls from Ames.

I heard about the book through Joseph's mom, Carolyn. While I was home visiting a couple of weeks ago, she had just finished it and insisted I read it. So, as I sat on my flight back to San Diego, I started reading it and couldn't put it down. I am half way through it so far (trying to read at least a chapter a day when I get a chance) but absolutely love it and wanted to share it with all of you. Here is a small excerpt from the Introduction.


"They were born at the end of the baby boom and their memories are evocative of their times. Born in the middle of the country, they now live everywhere else, but carry Ames with them. Their story is universal, even common, and on that level it can't help but resonate with any woman who has ever had a friend. And yet some of their experiences together are so completely one-of-a-kind, haunting and touching and exhilarating, that I found myself feeling spellbound as they talked to me..."

I hope you can pick up a copy and read it or borrow it from someone. It is a MUST read, and makes me think of all of my beloved friends :)

No comments:

Post a Comment